Sunday, November 2, 2014

Two Tales and a Prediction (Mark 12:38-13:2)


 
The Tale of the Scribe

As I climb the steps of Temple Mount, my heart is filled with a song of ascents: “I lift up my eyes to the hills—from where will my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”  And as I climb to the Temple platform, where the holiest of holies awaits, I thank the Lord that I am part of God’s order, part of God’s apparatus, enshrined in the sacred place to which I ascend, where the will of the Lord is interpreted and implemented here on earth.  I am truly humbled before God that I have been chosen, even among a chosen people, to interpret God’s holy law and oversee its implementation.  Although I know that it is a gift, I am nevertheless proud that it has been given to me.

I feel the Law, the Torah, coursing through my body.  It is a song of hope, a song of order, a song given by the divine, by that which we do not even name, that which we call ha-shem, the Name, or simply Lord, Adonai.  And the Law has been spoken by the breath of God, by the ruach of God, and the words burned into our lives by that Spirit’s living flame.  And as I climb, other songs of David come to me . . . “O Lord, how I love your law!  It is my meditation all day long” and “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul.”  And I am humbled and grateful and proud, at one and the same time, to be your vessel, O Adonai, and as I proudly walk through the marketplace, it shows in my countenance, it shines out through every pore and I know that I am aglow.

But the Law is often easier in the saying, more beautiful in its form, than it is in application.  Often, it is not easily seen how it applies in everyday life, as it surely must be for pious Jews everywhere.  And that is part of my job as Scribe: not only am I keeper of the Law as given, in all its symmetry and beauty, but I am its interpreter as well, I take a stricture and determine how it applies, I spin it out to its logical extent, showing its beauty in every situation.  What does the Law say about touching the unclean?  How long of a touch does it take?  Can the clean eat with the unclean?  Should they?  I and my fellow scribes do the hard and, frankly, thankless work of bringing the Law to the people, in the everyday.

So as I ascend to the Temple Mount, the abode of the Lord, I thank God for who I am, who God has made me, and I reflect on the governor’s feast just the night before, and think with pride of the honor given me to sit at the right hand of the host, the place of honor . . . It shows to me that even our Roman overlords fear the Lord, and respect those who labor in God’s vineyard, for the greater glory of Adonai . . .

And when I get to the platform, and stand outside the women’s court, I cannot help but break aloud into glorious, spontaneous prayer, my fine robes – as befit a servant of the Lord –shining in the morning sun.  And as my prayer rings out it expresses all the beauty, all the theological depth that my training in the Law has afforded me, and I cannot help but notice how it impresses not only the simple women who are about, but their menfolk as well, as they go in and out on temple business.

Which, of course, is what I have on this beautiful morning, after last night’s rain has washed the stink of the burnt offerings out of the air.  Indeed, it is the same business I have every morning at the Roman hour of Terce—and what a fine order the Romans have brought to Jerusalem, oppressors though they are . . . Anyway, my business this morning is to sit in judgment in the Temple gate, to hear the pleas of the people, and to interpret the Law of Moses, which is perfect and our delight, to insure that God’s justice is done for God’s people.  And the first to appear is a landlord and his tenant, a woman who has recently lost her husband, and cannot work the fields and thus cannot pay the percentage due the landlord.  And as much as it pains me to do so, as much as I am personally sympathetic to the plight of the widow—who has three young children—I have to side with the landowner who does own the land . . . after all, the Law is perfect, it is our delight.

 

The Tale of the Widow

I am not an old woman, having seen barely twenty five years, yet I have been a widow nearly half of them.  Married at twelve to a Temple carpenter, a year later he died when a scaffold collapsed on the Western Wall.  And although he left no brother to take my hand, and thus fulfill the Levirate duties of the dead, I was fortunate that my father still lived, and was able to take in my child and me.  Still, it was hard:  my father had little enough to live on, and two more mouths stretched it to the breaking point.  But though we were often hungry, we did not lack a warm, dry place to live.

Until, of course, my father passed in turn, and the landlord had no choice but to turn us out.  He had been generous enough toward the end—as my father’s health sank toward death, he was prevented from working, and could not pay his portion.  The landlord nevertheless let us stay, for which I am grateful, and of course the Lord, but when father died, he had no choice.  He had a living to make, he had mouths to feed himself, and I understood when he turned us out.  What could he do?

With no other male relative to take us in, we went into the streets, where I was to beg for our daily bread.  That first winter, my child died of a terrible, rattling cough.  She had been sick for weeks, hacking through the cold, winter nights, until finally, her body just gave out.  I suppose it is a mercy, because living on the Jerusalem streets is not easy, even within a stone’s throw of the Temple, where people tend to be more generous with their alms.  Still, I managed to survive these past years on the small amount that I was able to beg, a few pennies here, a few there.  Some days, I received several, some days none at all, the begging was as variable as the Palestine climate: beneficial the one day, and the next . . . not.

On this day, I come to the women’s court of the temple to make an offering to the Lord, through God’s priests and scribes and other learned men who bring God to the people, without whom we would surely be at our enemies’ mercy . . . the priests who intercede for us with burnt offerings and the scribes who apply God’s Holy Law equally, and though their judgments are sometimes harsh, they are invariably fair.  And as I throw into the jar the morning's take of two pennies—praise be to God I have the afternoon still to beg—I see the man Jesus, who we on the street all know, and he’s gesticulating toward me and speaking to his followers, though I cannot hear the words.  Then he turns away, trailing his disciples behind.

 

A Prediction

We disciples have a hard time understanding exactly what Jesus means by his words, or at least I do.  “Truly I tell you,” he says, “this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury.”  Which, of course, is patently false: she’s put in a grand total of a penny, and there are those we’ve seen, just in the few minutes we’ve been here, who’ve put in many times more.  There’s no way she’s contributed more than all of them put together . . . And his explanation is not much better, that they’ve contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had . . . and to that I say . . . so??  They’ve still put in a far greater amount than the widow, intentions or not.

But maybe that’s the point . . . maybe Jesus can see that her intentions are better than all the others.  Maybe her heart is purer or something, cleaner, though I can’t believe it could be any more so than those of the Temple scribes . . . Or maybe it’s a relative thing, that what she has given is greater than all the others because she has given a greater percentage of what she has.  After all, 100% is certainly more than 10%, or 50%, and he did say they gave out of their abundance . . . It seems kind of a trivial point to make, but so be it.  I’m sure we’ll come to understand it one day, just as I’m sure we’ll understand all those predictions of his own death . . . How is it that the Messiah, born to lead us back to glory, could die?  Perhaps he meant that metaphorically, or symbolically, too.

Well.  As we leave the Temple, Peter—irritating, distractible Peter—says “Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!” and I’m thinking, sure they are, but a pretty skin hides a rotten core . . . Haven’t the minions of that place persecuted us since the beginning?  Hadn’t we just heard a vivid description of that rot, in the tale of the scribes’ overweening pride and hypocrisy?

And as if to put a seal on it all, Jesus tells us one more thing: “Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.”  And we don’t have to guess by whom it will be thrown: it is God who decides what lives or dies, what persists or is destroyed, and it is obvious that the Temple has outlived its usefulness, that it is so degenerate, so rotten, so riddled with corruption and vice, that it will be destroyed.

And doesn’t this shed a new light upon the widow’s mite?  Doesn’t it offer a different perspective on the act of sacrifice we just saw?  The widow gives all she has, her whole life for something that is worthless, corrupt . . . Does Jesus really mean to commend that act to us, does he mean to glorify it?  This poor widow, duped into giving her all to an institution riddled with sin, she must not be aware that what she has just given her life to does not deserve it.  After all, who in their right mind would do that willingly? 

 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment