Sunday, February 28, 2016

Near and Far (Isaiah 55:1 - 9)

     I toss in my sleep and furiously perspire, for I dream of one thing: Jerusalem.  Night after night, Jerusalem.  City of my forebears.  City of the golden Temple, of the Lord God on his throne. Now a city of ghosts, revenants flitting through the half-life ruins, living only God knows how, in ways I certainly don't want to imagine.

The Jerusalem of my dreams is not this ghost town, or at least most of the time it's not.  Most of the time, it is exceedingly beautiful: white walls gleam in the sun.  Palm trees sway like thatch-topped sylphs, enticing me closer.  Lithe women, baskets brimming with pomegranate and myrrh, make their way laughing to the markets.  No, I do not dream of Jerusalem as it is, but as it once was, for after all: it is my dream.

Not that I’ve ever seen The City, you understand: I am a child of the exile, born a generation after my grandfather—a rich merchant—and grandmother were brought here, in the final wave of deportations.  They carried a bitterness about them until the end of their days, which was understandable: in Jerusalem, they gave lavish dinners, attended by everyone who was anyone: other merchants, visiting princes, once even the High Priest himself.  Here, in Babylon, my grandfather worked in the royal stables and my grandmother sold ragged leather goods, pieced together from scraps scrounged from tannery garbage.

Their bitterness was inherited, to a lesser degree, by my father, who passed it down even more diluted to me.  Though there is little hope for my future, beyond inheriting my father's job, which he inherited from Grandfather, I was taught to read and write, courtesy of his fondness for education, and his unshakable hope for restoration.  But I do not share his bitterness, because Babylon is all I know, and it is wondrous enough.  The hanging gardens.  The Ishtar Gates.  The great ziggurat Etemenanki, "House of the Frontier Between Heaven and Earth," which lay next to the Marduk’s Temple.

And through it all flows the beautiful Euphrates, palm-lined and laden with fish, which inspired a harpist of a previous generation to write: “By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down and there we wept when we remembered Zion.”  And though I cannot share the harpist’s anguish, still I dream, almost every night, about the Jerusalem of old.

Until last night, that is.  Last night I dreamed of water . . . rivers and fountains and up-wellings of water.  I was shown springs, with tendrils of moist, fertile sand spreading from them, teeming with creatures I did not understand.  I felt the cool breeze brought about by the moisture in the air; I shooed away tiny flying things swarming around on my face.

I plunged into the Euphrates, and magically observed the life swarming in its green-filter depth: small, golden carp peered at my face, eye to eye, mouth working, pumping water over their gills.  Plants swayed like a prairie in the wind—how did I know what a “prairie” is?  Dark forms darted among the fronds. Suddenly, a shadow came between me and the surface; I looked up and beheld a giant crocodile, snaking along just above, searching for prey.  And yet I was unafraid, because, in my dream, I knew in whose hands I was held.

And the dream went on and on, seemingly without end: oceans, lakes and watering holes.  Waterfalls, wells and inland seas.  Every kind, every quality, every quantity one could think of, shown to me, kaleidoscopically, like a festal vision, and yet particular, in every detail.  Until, at last, I woke up, feeling miraculously wet, as if I had in body made the journey instead of just in my dream.  Or perhaps it was only perspiration.

And all of today I have spent pondering the dream, trying to divine what it meant.  For as we all know, dreams are not sent merely for our pleasure.  Indeed, the divine speaks through dreams, whether through the strange gods of our captors, or our own Lord God Almighty.  And so I wrestled with the dream . . . was it a premonition?  Did it foretell some experience that I or someone I know would have?  Or was it informational: was God trying to tell me something?  Or—and this is a frightening thought!—did the Lord want me to do something, say something, pronounce something, like he did the prophets if old?

I could not come to any definite conclusion, and not for the first time I wished that God would be just a touch less mysterious.  And as night crept near, I began to wonder: what would I dream tonight?  What nocturnal visions would the Lord visit upon me tonight?  Would it be more water, this time in forms I can barely comprehend?  Would it be a return to the old Jerusalem dream, a fantasy that would never be fulfilled?  Or would God tell me what he wants from me?

And now I stride inside, toward my bed, determined to find out, though I am not the least bit tired.  But as I near the corner where my pallet lies, my feet start to feel leaden.  My eyelids droop, as if they are weighted, and as I reach the bed, I start to pitch over, toward it.  The last thing I recall before sleep hit is seeing the candles, lit by my mother at dusk, snuffing out on their own.  Or perhaps it's just the stirring of the air at my passing.

In my dream, I am before the throne of God, who is immense . . . All I can see are his feet, sandaled like mine, and tree-trunk legs, disappearing into the mist;  on second thought, into greasy smoke, and I know where I am: I am in the inner room of the Temple, the holy of holies, where only God can go.  I am reminded of the tale of my forefather Isaiah, and his vision in the throne room, and as if to reinforce the association, there are the seraphim, six-winged flying serpents, flapping and screeching above me.  Thank goodness they keep their distance, they don’t brand me on the mouth as they did Isaiah, but I get the point: I am to be in his tradition, I am to prophesy in his line.  It fills my heart with dread.

Now there comes a voice, indescribable and intimately familiar, nowhere and everywhere at once. It is quiet and infinitely loud, seductively female and decidedly male, near and yet very, very far.  It said “I am the Lord your God.  God of your ancestors Sarah and Abraham, Josiah and Tamar, of the infinite abyss and the highest transcendence.  I am the God of paradox, of light and dark, of opposites that compliment, and those that beggar the mind.  I am nothing and everything at once, empty and overwhelmingly full.”

The voice is silent, it seems to await a reply, so in a trembling voice I say: “Ah . . . mighty Lord of Paradox, I am, uh, honored to be in your presence, and of course, awaiting your command.  What would you have me do?”

And the voice is all whispers yet clear as a bell: “Prophesy, O mortal, as did your forefather Isaiah.”

Silence again.  “What would you have me say, O Lord?”

“Tell the people about life . . . true life.  Life that cannot be bought or sold, life that is not for sale.”

I do not understand, and I say as much.

“Remember the water, O Human, remember the water.”

Suddenly, I am awake, and it is morning, and the voice of the Almighty rings in my ears.  Remember the water . . . remember the water.  And I do, I remember the dream, the delightful, cryptic vision.  Every place there was water teemed with life, even in the harshest desert, even in the most sterile, lunar city.  The river, where harps were hung, the watering holes, the lakes and the seas, gushing with life.

All of a sudden, I know to say:  Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters, and as I write, I realize that I mean everyone, rich and poor alike.  These waters, this life does not discriminate, it is not rationed along the lines of have and have not.  There is no dry season for this water, this life.  This wine and milk are without cost, and what’s more, they are priceless, they are literally without price.

And now the words tumble out, driven by a spirit, by a wind, by a ruach that comes from within.  And it strikes me that in true prophetic fashion, I am speaking for God, yet they are my own words as well.  They are my own thoughts, and yet they are the Lord’s as well.  Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?  Why do you buy toys and amusements, things made of clay and metal, when they do not fill the void within?  They are temporal, finite, pretty and gaudy and fascinating, but they do not nourish, they are thin gruel.  The waters of life, gushing up from the desert, beloved by sages and all who possess true wisdom, are rich and satisfying.

And I find myself, in the name of God, offering up a covenant, an everlasting covenant, like that offered David, and it is breathtaking in its audaciousness: here they are, captives in a foreign city, strangers in a very strange land, and still God promises them everything.  You shall call nations, entire nations, to you, nations you do not even know, and they shall come!  And I realized that through my words, the Word, the word of God, continued to create, continued to call into existence a new reality, just as they did in the beginning, when they swept across the waters of the deep.

Now the words come tumbling, gushing out, and they are no longer as if from God’s mouth, no longer in the third tense.  I speak from my own experience of the nearness, the closeness of God: I urge the people to seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon God while he is near.  If they return to the Lord, if they come to the waters, God will have mercy on them, God will pardon them, for—says the Lord—my thoughts are not your thoughts and my ways are not your ways, and I certainly get it, I get the mordant humor, the stark irony: God will pardon them precisely because his thoughts are not like our petty thoughts, his ways are not like our petty, childish ways.

And the whole breathtaking construction suddenly becomes clear: God is infinitely near to us, less than even a heartbeat away . . . He is as near to us as a breath, close as a thought, and yet as far from our understanding as the stars above.  Mired in things that are by nature not divine, that do not nourish us or quench our thirst, the waters that God offers are sure and everlasting.  They are the waters of mercy, the waters of pardon, the waters of forgiveness.  Ho!  Come to the waters, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters and be washed in God’s love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment