Sunday, January 4, 2015

Prophet Song (Luke 2:22 - 40)


     I know where you go when you die.  Do you want me to tell you?  All right . . . Come a little closer . . . When you die, you go nowhere.  That’s right: nowhere.  And how do I know that?  Because I’ve been dead myself, lo these two-thousand odd years, and although my body has shuffled off this mortal coil, my spirit certainly hasn’t.  It’s been flapping around this world since the day I felt a tremendous pain in my chest, and suddenly found myself looking down at what was left of the prophet Simeon.  I looked pretty pitiful, I must admit . . . guards came running, Hanna began wailing . . . She had no idea she would follow so soon after, but she should have.  It was no coincidence that my . . .  death (I call it “my change” because that’s what I have experienced) it was no coincidence that my change happened so soon after that day, after the visit by that family, bearing that child.  And it was the same for her . . . Our whole lives had been pointing to that coming, and she should have known that they would end soon after.

I swear I felt it when they came in the outer courtyard, where I was sitting in the sun that cold March day.  I may have simply imagined it, but as I got older, I seemed to perceive the numinous, the delicately transcendent, more easily.  Or maybe that was imagination too.  I no longer know.  Despite what that renegade Pharisee Paul has written, I do not know much more now than when my heart was beating.  Maybe I will when the kingdom is fulfilled . . .

Of course I had been primed to expect something by the Holy Spirit, who had poked and prodded me until I went to the Temple just to get it off my back.  Of course, the Spirit hadn’t told me why, need to know and all that I suppose, but I swear that God took especial delight in keeping me in the dark.  So I’d gone to the temple, sat down in the sun, and closed my eyes—just resting them, you understand—when suddenly, there was that indescribable change in the air, and immediately upon opening my eyes I spotted them, a man and a woman, and in the woman’s arm, a babe . . . and I silently thanked the Lord that I had lived to see his coming.

As I sat there, I studied them for a moment.  They looked tired and bedraggled, exhausted after their long journey—these days, Nazareth is barely two hours automobile, but back then it took five days of hard walking.  They also looked a little lost, like they weren’t used to the scale of the place, and for good reason: Nazareth at the time was not the city it is today.  Back then, it was just a sheep town of 400 souls.  The couple was clearly out of heir element, openly gawking at the heroic Temple architecture.

It was when I saw the small wooden cage that my heart went out to them.  I knew that it contained two turtle doves, doubtless purchased at ten prices from some shyster outside the wall, and it spoke volumes about their circumstances.  You see, the law required that every first-born male be dedicated to God, and a sacrifice be offered in propitiation.  Normally, that was a lamb, but for the poor, a pair of turtledoves would suffice.  This meant that they were not well off, and that it may have taken all they had just to get to Jerusalem and offer their child up to God.  Their faithfulness brought me tears; not for the first time I asked God why he would ask impoverished people to undertake such a punishing requirement.

Well.  I got my old bones up from where I’d been sitting and walked toward them, and I admit in the excitement I was a little unsteady, and two pairs of eyes fastened on me.  No, make that three pairs, because I could see the eyes of the babe, regarding my solemnly.  And as I got closer, I could see more clearly what this royal couple was all about.  The father was a slender young man with curly dark hair and a fine Semitic nose.  There was an unmistakable air of kindness about him, which I knew would come in handy in raising a little boy, even a holy one such as this.  The mother was more slender still, and her head came only to her man’s shoulders.  She had raven hair and huge, dark eyes which, at the moment were awash with hope.  I hoped what I had to say would not crush her spirit.

When I got to them, I reached out my arms and the babe reached out to me, and amazingly his mother let him into my arms, and an indescribable peace descended over me, a feeling of rightness so strong that I gasped in surprise.  Dimly, I realized what I had done: I had usurped the power of the Temple elite, I had intercepted him before they had been able to consecrate him in the traditional way.  The priests would not be happy, but what did I care?  What could they do to me, so near the end?  Besides: I had a feeling that with this child there’d be a lot more prerogative-usurping before all was done, and that they would do well to get used to it.

     And as the babe came into my arms, a song sprung up in my heart, a song that came to me whole and unasked for, that like all of my prophecies was a curious mixture of me and not me, a blend of Simeon the prophet and the one who resides within and without, everywhere and at once, now and forever:

 

Now, Lord, let your servant go in peace:

your word has been fulfilled.

My own eyes have seen the salvation

which you have prepared in the sight of every people:

a light to reveal you to the nations

and the glory of your people Israel.

 

     It was a song of praise and adoration, and though I thought it wasn’t bad, as such things go, I had no idea it would go as far as it has.  It is sung in countless religious communities just before retiring for the night.  It encourages them to examine the past day to see where and in whom Christ has come to them . . . I am humbled and touched that it has survived.  Even now, after all the centuries, my eyes tear up as, my spirit fluttering near a church of an evening, I hear those words again.  Who knew spirits could weep?

The eyes of the young parents were as big as saucers at what I had said, and I laid my hands upon each one of them and offered my blessing as well as that of the Lord God above.  And then it was time, the final prophecy of my life, and I quaked inside at what I had to say.  I leaned close to Mary—for that was her name—and spoke: “Behold! This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed—and a sword will pierce your own soul too.”  And it was only years later, as my spirit skittered around the disciples in an upstairs room, did I understand the significance of that curious turn of phrase: falling and rising rather than rising and falling.  It spoke to the falling and rising of that babe in my arms, who would say a seed must die and fall to the ground before it can rise up again . . .

Well.  You can imagine how that line about a sword piercing her side affected Mary; I felt like a sword pierced my own side as I watched her face crumple.  But then, her fear was replaced by something else: a calm, sad acceptance, or perhaps even resolve.  And I realized there was more to this woman than meets the eye, which I should have known.  After all, she had been favored by God Almighty, chosen out of a multitude of others, to raise and nurture the savior of the world.

I heard a rustling at my side, and I saw that the prophet Hanna had appeared beside us. She was aged beyond even me, and spent all her time at the Temple, praying and singing, like her namesake so long ago. (I do not know why your English translations insist on translating her name as “Anna”)  As she came, her face had a delighted glow, her eyes seemed lit from within, and with a glance at Mary—who nodded her head—I held out the babe. Anna looked in wonderment first at me, then at the mother, and slowly extended her gnarled hands, caressing the child, but she didn’t take him from me.  Instead, she fell to her knees and began praising God, in wonderment and gratitude that, like me, she had lived to see this child.

And today, two thousand years later, I do not know where Hannah is, or whether her spirit still roams the earth as does mine, but I cannot help but remember that the first evangelist was an 84-year-old woman, for she told everyone who entered the Temple about the salvation that had come down upon us from on high.  Indeed: as I look at this youth-obsessed culture, with its idolizations of the young, and it’s callous disregard of anyone over sixty years of age, I wonder how it would be perceived that the first to recognize the savior, the first to bless him and welcome him for what he is, were two octogenarians like us?

The gospel writer you call Luke—not his real name, but what does it matter anymore?—Luke compresses 30 years of life and development into that sentence: “And the child grew and became strong and full of wisdom,” and that is certainly true.  And I, in the form of this fluttering spirit, saw it all.  And it amazed me then, as it amazes me now, that God chose to become one of us, and that through that choosing, through that incarnation, our salvation has come.  And in the two millennia I have looked on, I have seen empires come and empires go, I’ve seen armies rise and fall, and rulers and nations proclaim themselves “indispensable” and “eternal,” and the greatest there ever was.  But God did not choose to become manifest in that way.

As Martin Luther put it, God became small for us.  God came down, not as a mighty king or president, not to crush Romans or vanquish enemies, but as an infant, the most helpless thing imaginable.  God came down, not to a media-savvy consultant, or a middle-class engineer, or a corporate CEO.  God came down in scandalous circumstance, to a couple so poor they couldn’t afford a lamb as an offering to the Lord.

I remember the wonder and the amazement, as I held the incarnation in my hands, as I cherished Jesus in my arms, for the briefest of moments before I died.  I held him in my hands, but you hold him in your hearts, and that’s the greatest thing of all.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment